Friday, July 29, 2016

LESSON IN HUMILITY

God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. l Peter 5:1b (ESV)

The scars on my hand made me remember the constant pain from surgery to replace the ligament in my thumb. This disability caused me to realize how much I needed to use it. Without my thumb, the fingers have a difficult time picking things up, or holding an object between two fingers. It can be frustrating without the thumb to give strength and support.

The weeks of pain and inability to drive were a test of patience and perseverance on my part. Feeling sorry for myself, a familiar saying popped into my mind: "I complained because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet." Then, the scripture above reminded me that God gives grace to the humble.

Hanging my head in humility, and realizing I am not super human, my heart had been touched once more by Gods love. I put Him in charge, making my physical, emotional and spiritual healing process dependent on His guidance and love.

My disability was temporary. Many victims of accidents or acts of war live with physical and mental disabilities. I have learned that humbling one's self before the Lord and receiving His grace is the first step in discovering what strength and power He can provide in spiritual, mental and physical recovery. I praise His holy Name.

Father, open my eyes to those who are suffering physical and mental disabilities. Lift the humble up with words of kindness and grace that draws them closer to You, enabling them to abandon their feelings of self pity and uselessness. May they find spiritual growth and physical healing through You. Amen.

© 2016 Evelyn B. Ryan

No comments: