Friday, August 19, 2016

DIDN’T YOU SEE ME?



Love your neighbor as yourself. Love does no harm to a neighbor.  (NIV) Romans 13:9f, 10a

Turning onto a street – CRASH! The impact of metal on metal was followed by the sound of shattering glass as my car hit another vehicle. Stunned, I could not believe what had happened. Getting out of my car to check on the other driver, I saw a man who witnessed the accident running to her car.
The elderly woman looked at me and asked, “Didn’t you see me?” I apologized, but it was obvious I had not seen her. She was badly shaken and covered with glass from her driver’s side window, but otherwise unhurt.
Climbing back into my car, I called the police. Praying for the Lord to forgive me, I asked the woman to forgive me, too. I admitted to the officer that the accident was my fault.
Moments before the accident, my thoughts and prayers were about what was going to be happening that day. Although I did not deliberately hit her car, my attention was distracted and not focused on my driving.

This accident was a major wake-up call for me from God. I felt God was telling to me to pay careful attention to the people around me. As He worked in my heart, it became clear to me that my busy schedule had distracted me from loving my neighbor. God loves and cares about people, and it is His desire that we love them, too. Part of loving our neighbor includes doing them no harm.
Father, please keep me ever mindful of my neighbors, and ways I can express Your love to them.

© 2016 Diane E. Hussey

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Hello, Diane. I know how it feels to have an accident. I had two of them in my 59 years of driving; the last one was when I was on my way to the bus company to pick up the bus for my afternoon runs. A lady broadsided me going through the red light. My back and neck twisted in the impact. It still hurts now and then when I work too long and too hard. Funny, how it occurred on my middle son's birthday. The other insurance company sent me a check that was used to pay my son's fine for letting his insurance lapse. Perhaps that was God's way of helping our son when he needed it. At least I got my car fixed on that lady's insurance.

You take good care of yourself and drive safely and attentively. God bless you. Keep writing. You do a great job. Love, Evelyn