Friday, April 22, 2016

THERE IS A SNAKE IN MY BASEMENT!


But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 2 Corinthians 11:3 (NIV)
There is a snake in my basement, or at least there was. It might be dead by now, or it might have gotten out, or it might still be there. I do not know. It snuck in while my husband was working at the outside entrance one day. He tried to catch it, but it escaped into the unknown crevices. Finding it would have involved taking three generations’ worth of possessions out of up to four rooms, and we just were not willing to put in the effort. It has been several months now, and my husband thinks he found the carcass a while back, but we do not know for certain.
Sin is like that. It slips into some place that we will not take the time to clean out. Sin does not, however, just curl up in a corner and die. It takes up residence in that dark corner and then starts working its way into the light. By the time we notice the problem, it is too late.
Praise the Lord, we have a Savior, who is also an expert house cleaner. He knows exactly where sin is hiding and exactly how to get rid of it. Of course, then a new problem occurs, or perhaps it is the same old problem. Will we let Him clean out those dark corners that we try to ignore and may even want to keep everything in them?
Prayer: Lord, make our hearts long for Your cleansing touch, instead of hiding in the dark.
©2016 Heidi M. Grant

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Heidi, this is a beautiful, meaningful devotion. I have also had a snake in my basement. It's no fun going in that dark place to retrieve something and afraid every step into that black space. I have found snake skins and it made me cringe. But, I did not abandon my quest to get what I went down there for because I knew that Jesus had my back. My faith carried me through. God bless you, dear friend. Keep writing. You do great!

Evelyn B. Ryan