Friday, April 1, 2016

THE BEST LAID PLANS

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

“When are you due?” people would ask as soon as they found out I was pregnant.

“April 1st,” I would reply, and add after a moment, “It’s okay, you can laugh.”

It would take a second, but then they would get the joke and chuckle. My husband thought it would be awesome if our son was born that day, but I was diagnosed with preeclampsia, a life-threatening condition, on March 27th. For three days, the doctors and nurses tried valiantly to get me to go into labor, but to no avail. (Most at this point express sympathy for my terrible plight, but I reassure them that it was not actually bad. I never went into labor.) The staff nicknamed me Fort Knox. My husband jokes that they were inventing drugs for the purpose. They even pulled out a drug which they had not used in five years but no luck.  Instead, on March 30th, I played turkey, and they carved my son out of me.

I am so grateful that God’s plans never go awry, even if our part in them never seems to be what we want. Things may get rough or be so great we are waiting for the other shoe to drop, but He never steps off His throne. It is truly amazing to be in the hands of such an awesome God!

Prayer: Lord, You are the only One who knows exactly what will happen, and You are the only One who can always control the ups and downs. Thank You for being the Only God.

©2016 Heidi M. Grant

2 comments:

Christy said...

YEAH!!!! Great devotion.
Great story!! Christy

Bonnie Mae Evans said...

Amen! He knows the plans He has for us and they are perfect. Thank God, our lives are not just another April Fool's joke!