Friday, August 21, 2015

DEAD MAN WALKING


He who has the Son has life; He who does not have the Son of God has not life. 1 John 5:12 (NKJV)

In the movie "The Green Mile,” there is a scene where Percy, a prison guard is leading a shackled John Coffee into prison. Walking ahead of John, Percy is calling out, "Dead man, dead man walking."

That particular scene causes me to wonder as I go about my day passing ordinary people on the street. How many of them are just that, "dead men walking,” going about their working, shopping and eating as usual? Their heartbeats are keeping rhythm with their steps. All outward appearances indicate they are alive. The fact is, unless they have accepted the gift of eternal life, made possible only through Jesus Christ's death on the cross and His resurrection three days later—they are, indeed, dead men walking.

This causes my heart to ache.

 How I wish they knew the struggles they have today are scarcely a speck in the face of eternity. How I wish they understood we are all spiritual beings wrapped in physical bodies that will eventually die. Except for those of us who accept Jesus' invitation to join Him in Heaven. We will be alive and well in the company of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit along with fellow brothers and sisters in Christ for all of eternity. One moment we will close our eyes in death here, and the next, open them in our perfected bodies in the presence of Jesus. We will have life more magnificent than we could ever have imagined, all compliments of our Savior.

Father, how I hope to live my life in a way that points to Jesus. How I pray for boldness to share the gospel. Amen.

©Bonnie Mae Evans 2015

2 comments:

Evelyn R. said...

Bonnie, this is a true "thinking" devotion. I pray that countless people will read this a contemplate their own lives while they yet live and breathe. God bless you for your insight into your own future. Love, Evelyn

Bonnie Mae Evans said...

Thank you, dear Evelyn. That is my prayer also.
Blessings to you.