Friday, March 28, 2014

Listen

“My sheep listen to my voice:  I know them, and they follow me.”  John 10:27 (NIV)

Leaving for work one day, I pleaded with my husband to call the doctor to set an appointment. He had not been feeling well for a few days and almost everyone he worked with had been out sick with the flu.

Patrick had asthma most of his childhood, so when he started coughing that morning, I promptly informed him that he needed to listen to his wife and just make the call. Those words fell on deaf ears.

My husband called me later that evening. He was struggling to breathe and was going to the emergency room. This is the text I wanted to send him.

“The people to whom I am sending you are obstinate and stubborn. Say to them. ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says.’ And whether they listen or fail to listen--for they are a rebellious house--they will know that a prophet has been among them.” Ezekiel 2:4-5 (NIV)

While driving to the hospital, my mind wandered to the days when Jesus walked the earth performing numerous miracles in the sight of hundreds, sometimes thousands of people. Yet, after viewing these miracles in person, some still made the decision not to listen to His Word. So many people laid eyes on this Man, not realizing that He was the Savior and their intended King.

Jesus, be with us, O Lord, that we may not only recognize Your voice, but that we may follow through and be obedient to Your Holy Word. Teach us, Father, to listen to the increasing needs of Your children. Lord help us fill their empty baskets to overflowing with Your unconditional love, laughter and joy. In Jesus‘ Almighty name. Amen.

©2014 Denise McKinney

No comments: