Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Fourth Day of Christmas: Four Calling Birds

Jesus began to preach, “Repent the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Matt. 4:17b (NKJV)
Paralyzed, I awoke on the operating table, and heard doctors’ talking - then pain pierced me. My mind screamed, Stop. I’m awake! They were cutting me. The excruciating pain came in heavy waves, cutting and stabbing over and over. Stop, I can feel that! Each pain wave came harder and more intense than the last.
Unvoiced screams echoed in my brain. Stop!
Then I heard, “Her blood pressure’s dropping.”
 “We’re losing her.”
It was too late. The pain left abruptly. I died.
I watched, from above the operating table, as the doctors worked on me. The Holy Spirit joined me, saying “It’s okay to die.”
My worries fell free, like unshackled chains. 
A warm soft grey air surrounded me. Beautiful peace flooded my soul and unimaginable, undisputable love blanketed me. There was only peace, sweet peace. I did not want to leave. My past life sped by as a high-speed movie. As I watched all the hard times, tears came with each beating and merciless event.
“Stop crying.” The Holy Spirit commanded. “It’s time to go back. Be joyful.” The Holy Spirit flooded me with joy that overwhelmed me. Tears ceased.
 “This is a gift to you.”
I longed to stay, to follow through to the Light.
He said, “Jesus is the Light of the world. You must go back. You have things to do and people to tell.”  
* * *
            “Lois. Wake up!” Someone kept flicking my index finger, calling my name.
            The four calling birds represent the four Gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, announcing the Good News. God has come to earth. Accept. Believe. Live it. I was sent back to tell you.

Thank You, Lord, for making yourself known to me, for using me to tell the fallen world.
©Lois Gosley 2013

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Lois, this is a powerful testimony of Jesus' love for us. He wants us to tell the world of His great love and sacrifice for us so that we can enjoy a happy relationship with His Father, God. His sacrifice was phenomenal, far above our human understanding, but, we know He loves us.

E. Bonnie