Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Eleventh Day of Christmas: Go, Tell It On The Mountain

Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.  Matthew 28:16 (NIV)

Recently, I had the opportunity to become more aware of the persecution our brothers and sisters in Christ face world wide. While hearing stories shared by missionaries, who are much like the eleven faithful disciples, I was humbled that my own burdens pale in comparison to those of our beloved fellow Christians facing hardship for loving our God, believing in salvation delivered to us through Christ Jesus, and spreading the word.

We have the freedom to worship and witness freely, they do not. We are blessed to be able to share God’s word and witness with the intent to make more and better disciples without facing imprisonment or worse. I felt led to share this scripture on the inside of one of the Bibles being delivered to missionaries abroad:

                                 So do not fear, for I am with you,
                                 Do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
                                 I will strengthen you and help you;
                                 I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. 
                                                                         Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)

In an email two days later, that same scripture came back to me. It seems I needed to be encouraged by those words as well as share them. The scripture had a powerful effect on me. I pray the Bible’s recipient receives the same blessing in reading those words for true strength comes through grace by faith.
 
Heavenly Father, as I reflect on events of past years I am truly humbled and tremendously blessed in Your faithfulness. Be ever present with us as, encouraged in 2 Timothy 4:7 (NIV), we fight the good fight, finish the race and keep the faith. In Jesus’ name. 
 
 (c) 2013 Atalie Shackelford

2 comments:

Evelyn R. said...

Atalie, you are a good writer. You did a fantastic job of writing this devotional. We're so proud of your progress in spreading God's Word.
E. Bonnie

Evelyn R. said...

Atalie, you are a good writer. You did a fantastic job of writing this devotional. We're so proud of your progress in spreading God's Word.
E. Bonnie