Friday, June 28, 2013

STORM THREAT


 “Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, revive me in your word.”

(Ps119:37 HISB)

The storm raged. Trees bent over by the strong winds – a worrisome sight. I got a weather alert phone call warning, “Be careful, find shelter, tornados touched down nearby.” Rain beat against my windows. A loud thunderous clap, as a lightning zap, struck nearby, and then total silence and darkness. Power was out. My house was as dead and dark as a tomb inside with the unrelenting storm ravaging outside. Lightning ruled the skies as I hurried to the basement.

Sitting in the light of my flashlight, I wondered how long I’d be without power; if my freezer would stay cold? Would the basement flood without the sump pump running? Was a tornado nearby? I couldn’t check the weather station on TV because I have no power, no computer connection.

Another lightning flash and thunder clap startled me. “Oh Lord,” I whined. I looked at the light my flashlight produced and recalled what Jesus said. “I am the light of the world; he who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12 RSV).

All my creature comforts were disrupted: my computer, my food, my home. What would this situation be like if my connection to Jesus were unplugged. A new horrible definition of panic would rule my world. Fortunately, the Light of the world is here and I’m not alone.

Let me hear your voice and feel your presence. That is my prayer, Lord. Things come and go, my love and connection to You remains firm. Thank you.  Amen

©2013-Lois Gosley

No comments: