Friday, June 7, 2013

Cat-Mail



Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14 ( ESV)

One night, back when we used dial-up Internet service, I heard the modem connect in another room. Since I was the only one home, this seemed a bit odd, as did the sound of the keyboard.

As it turns out, one of the cats was sitting on the desk paw-typing. She had connected to the Internet, apparently by using the enter key on an active icon; opened the email program, the same way; and started a new cryptic email message, addressed to someone in my contact list. 

Laughing, I decided she needed her own email account, for I didn’t want her to misrepresent me by emailing who-knows-what with my name on it. I couldn’t afford for a business associate to receive a message that contradicted my principles. 

Far more serious are the messages we send through our words and actions, messages that contradict God’s principles. I get impatient with telephone customer service that lacks an understanding of the words “customer” and “service.” In turn, my tone sends a message that misrepresents my Father.

I get behind some day-dreaming driver who is doing 30 mph in a 45 mph zone. My eyes throw darts while my head shakes in disgust. The string trimmer line uncoils for the umpteenth time, and I forget the motor is no longer loud enough to muffle my words. I roll my eyes when someone ahead of me in line isn’t prepared for his turn.

Here I was worried about how the cat’s email might misrepresent me!

Oh, God, I’m sorry for the times I send messages that contradict your principles. Help me to represent you in my words and actions. Amen.

©2013, Nance

No comments: