Friday, May 31, 2013

Healing Touch

I shall laud you because in a fear-inspiring way I am wonderfully made. Psalms 139:14a (NWT)

Recently I had a chance to say what King David said to God: I am wonderfully made.

Days ago, my dog jumped from my lap, her back feet gouged the back of my left hand, leaving a large triangular open wound. The skin was ripped away behind my middle knuckle exposing the tendons.

Surprisingly, there was not much blood. I sterilized the tips of my tweezers in scalding water. Then I gently grabbed the end of the flap of skin, drawing it back over the wound. I put antiseptic ointment on it and bandaged it.

Since it was the weekend, I went to a clinic to see if stitches were needed because the tear was large and deep. The doctor used surgical tweezers and pulled one end of rolled under skin out and applied two steri strips to hold it in place. Of course, I was given a tetanus shot.

Through the week I watched as the wound proceeded to heal. The naked eye could not detect the cells regenerating and attaching to the edges of the torn skin, but the tiny gap between the skin flap and the hand grew minutely smaller every day. In another week there will be only a pink line that will grow almost invisible. Eventually there will be only a 'V' shaped thin white scar to tell the story of the majesty of our loving God and His ability to heal that which was broken.

Thank You, Father, for the gift of Your healing touch. You perform miracles that stagger the imagination and delight the heart of those who truly love You. All praises belong to You, Father God. Amen

(c) 2013 Evelyn B. Ryan

No comments: