Friday, July 5, 2013

Parking Garage



Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6 (KJV)

Finding a car in a parking garage shouldn’t be this difficult. I walked up the stairwell to the third level and headed toward where I parked my car. Oddly, it wasn’t where I was sure I’d left it, but I could see it facing me, across a metal rail.

I walked up around the ramp, but my car wasn’t there. Returning to my original vantage point, I saw it again: my car, with my license plate. It was right there in front of me, but I couldn’t get to it. Up and back, up and back I went, seeing my car, not reaching my car.

In desperation, I prepared to propel myself from the metal rail, across the several storey drop, over and up to the rail in front of my vehicle. The distance was more than my height, but I was pretty sure I could do it.

“Don’t!” called a woman in an SUV. She explained there were two levels with the same number--double ramps. Go down the stairwell and up the other set of stairs.

Oh the things we go through to get places in life, to find what it is we are looking for, to get what is just out of our reach, to be “happy”. Our culture creates illusions of good answers, but we end up going in circles and finishing empty, when all the while we could have all that we need through Jesus.

Father, help us not to be distracted by the directions our culture points us in, but instead to focus on You for our direction. Amen.

©2013 Nance

No comments: