Friday, March 22, 2013

The Presence of the Lord




But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge.   Psalm 73:28 (NIV)

“Lord, we pray for Diane as she goes into surgery now. Be with the doctors, and may the surgery go well,” a gentleman from my church prayed, just prior to my surgery.

“Lord, I know you are with me and will get me through this.”

“Dear Father, I don’t know what’s going on; my body feels funny, but I’m trusting you.”

“Lord, I am cold and thirsty, but I cry out for you to be with me now.” I prayed short prayers like these frequently while in the hospital. I had never been through anything like this, but I felt the presence of God as I prayed quietly in my hospital bed. 

I also sensed God’s presence in the lives of the hospital staff around me: the nurse who gently helped me to the bathroom in the middle of the night; the kind lady who delivered my meals each day; the physical therapist who patiently urged me to walk a little bit farther than yesterday. My surgeon came to reassure me that surgery was successful. Each one always asked, “On a scale of 1-10 what is your pain level right now?” Several of these caretakers told me they loved the Lord, too.

I knew my family and friends were praying for the surgery to go well and trusting God for my full recovery. But I did not expect God to show up in the presence of real people during this challenging time. 

Father, thank you for being with me, comforting and healing me─for sending special people to be your presence with me in the hospital.

© 2013 Diane E. Hussey

No comments: