Friday, March 8, 2013

Marked

When you believed, you were marked in Him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit. Ephesians 1:13b (NIV)

I drove up to the bus stop to pick up the first big load of students. The mothers stood watching as I pulled the bus to a stop. The kids giggled happily. I noticed that they all had purple hair. No need to guess who they wanted to win the Super Bowl XXXV. After the kids were sitting in their seats, I pointed to my own hair. One of the mothers came over with a spray can. "Spray it on," I told her, pointing to my head. She obliged big time. The kids cheered as my hair turned purple like theirs. I thanked the mother, and she and the other ladies cheered as we pulled out. What a great start to what was to be an even greater day.

A thought came to me as I recalled this incident: am I marked for the Lord? Do I stand out as a Christian? Do I reflect God's love when I talk with others about Him and the sacrifice of His own Son so that mankind can be saved from eternal damnation?

The Ravens won the Super Bowl game that year. It was the first time I let myself be marked for a football team. The spray washed out of my hair, but my heart is marked with salvation in my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. That mark is permanent, never to be washed away. I praise the Lord Jesus and our Father, Jehovah for my mark of salvation.

Thank You, Father, for allowing me to wear Your colors of salvation every day. Amen.

(c) 2013 Evelyn B. Ryan

No comments: