Friday, November 9, 2012

OLD YELLOW RIBBON




Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready or every good work. Titus 3:1 (NKJV)
I was going through a shoe box of old papers, birthday cards, children’s drawings, and even old recipes I had planned to try, but never did. Each item brought back a memory and the choice: keep or toss.
At the bottom of the box was an old 3”x5”envelope. It contained a dirty, frayed yellow ribbon, along with a handwritten description.
January 27, 1981 - Our 52 American Hostages are free today after 444 days of captivity in Iran. This yellow ribbon was on our tree as a symbol of awaiting their “freedom” and a reminder to pray for their release. It was on our tree the entire time. The yellow ribbon idea was derived from Tony Orlando’s recording, “Tie a Yellow Ribbon Around the Old Oak Tree.”
I remembered praying for the hostages daily, and a short arrow prayer asking God to free them whenever I saw a yellow ribbon on someone else’s tree. I also prayed for comfort and peace for their families waiting at home.

A lot has happened in our country since then. Those freed hostages could be praying for their sons or daughters serving in the military (maybe grandsons/daughters) today.

This Veterans Day, I pray to be “yellow ribbon” reminded of our servicemen and women and their sacrifices as they serve overseas today. I love my country. Being born in the USA is a blessing. Our troops are serving God and country to keep that blessing secure. 

Dear Lord. God Bless our military. I pray for a “yellow ribbon” reminder to be on our hearts and prayers every day, not just one day a year. Amen

© 2012 Lois Gosley

No comments: