Friday, November 30, 2012

CHRISTMAS PITY PARTY


For we preach not ourselves, but Jesus Christ, the Lord, … for Jesus’s sake.  (II Cor. 4:5 NKJ)
One December morning, I felt depressed over my divorce, my daughter had left home permanently, and the anniversary of my mother’s death, I decided to go to the mall and admire the elaborate Christmas decorations. I sat on a bench and watched people walk past with their smiling faces and arms full of packages. They all looked happier than me. Whatever made me think this would brighten my day! “Bah hum bug!” I said and hurried out of the mall.

I cried as I turned on the car radio in time to hear, “Mary did you know.” I loved that song, especially the verse, “the baby that you delivered would soon deliver you.” My focus turned rapidly to Jesus. I bowed my head “Lord, deliver me from myself.  What can I do for you.”  I thought about the nursing home where I was a Candy Striper.

I made a trip to the grocery store, bought two bags of Oreo cookies. I went to the nursing home to the desk where the nurses knew me. She gave me permission to give out an Oreo. “They never get Oreos. It would be a treat.” She added.
I went from room to room, gave a couple Oreos, admired their family photos and Christmas decorations. I told a few funny Christmas stories, especially about my dog and cat racing around and knocking over the Christmas tree. I left saying, “Jesus Loves You.”

One grumpy old man abruptly said, “How do you know Jesus loves me?”
I replied. “He sent me to tell you.”

Dear Lord: You are our living hope not people. Thank you for you. Amen
Lois Gosley © 2012

No comments: