Friday, October 7, 2011

Crickets and Salvation

no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him—but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. 1 Corinthians 2: 9-10 (NIV)

Walking out the door of my house preparing to water my garden, I noticed a cricket on its back wiggling in place, apparently struggling to right itself. It is my understanding that insects are unable to survive if they remain upside down. Having nothing against crickets unless they are in my home, I attempted to assist in the salvation of this creature by turning it over with my toe. The wiggling body moved about three inches, but my purpose was not achieved. The insect’s movements became more vigorous. Trying again only pushed Mr. Cricket's entire body partially under a hose reel, where, out of my reach and apparently still upside down, his movements became more violent. However, tipping the hose reel over, I found a happily saved cricket.
.
As I walked away, the Holy Spirit brought a thought to my mind. There is a person who has been the subject of my prayers and frequent testimony for over thirty years. She has not yet received the Lord Jesus as her Savior. She is well aware of where I stand and “wiggles violently” when too much “God talk” makes its way into our time together. Recently she called me seeking answers to questions she had heard elsewhere.

The door was open for a deep conversation about salvation. My prayer is that she is “under the hose reel” and God is finishing the job.

Dear Lord, reveal yourself to this person and allow the Holy Spirit to woo her into acceptance of your redeeming grace.


Christy Struben © 2011

No comments: