Friday, September 30, 2011

Christianity 101

You shall love your neighbor as yourself. Matthew 22:39 (RSV)

College. Educational Psychology 214. I really wanted to find an answer to my quintessential question, “What happens in a person’s mind so that learning occurs?”

The text book was not clear; neither was the instructor. I attended every class and listened to the presenter—medium-height, around age 30, sandy-colored hair, glasses, a bony/angular kind of guy. With only two classes left, I asked a question to which he responded explosively. On the board, he drew a super-size “continuum” (the same one from the first class) which did not relate to anything. Disgusted, I gave up on him.

Unknown to me, department faculty had been standing behind one-way mirrors. So, on the next class day, a substitute told us our instructor had a brain tumor. I was shocked! Not at the problem, but at myself. Jesus was asking, “Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye” (Luke 6:41).

Jesus keeps teaching: “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to you! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under his wings, and you would not!” (Matthew 23:37). Jesus knows the hearts of men and he knew how much I deserved an attitude check.

Ed Psych 214 turned out to be Back-to-the Basics, Christianity 101. I had to relearn “You shall love your neighbor as yourself." The Holy Spirit uses His own teaching/learning methods, brings Jesus’ words to our minds and teaches us right from wrong. The Lord never gives up on anyone–not you, not me.

Lord, thank you for teaching and forgiving us. Amen.

©) 2011 V. Colclasure

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

So often we all need an attitude check during the course of the day. Thanks for reminding us that we are all human, not perfect or divine. God bless. E. Bonnie