Friday, September 2, 2011

Raindrops of Love

Be strong and of good courage . . . it is the Lord your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6 (RSV)

Raindrops always remind me of God’s love. When it rained on my wedding day bringing the song’s “Showers of Blessings,” I first associated rain with God’s love. I did the same on another gray, lonely day. Feeling depressed, I was in front of an open window. My husband and sons were attending a football game because one son was performing in the marching band. When it began to thunder and storm, I thought about the “mercy drops” and asked that they fall on me. I needed evidence of God’s love and presence.

Shortly, God answered. The wind blew more strongly, and raindrops came past a bush in front of the window, even flying through a screen, before hitting my face. Contrarily, I decided if I didn’t want to get wet, I’d better move. However, those few drops were nothing compared to my drenched husband and sons who came rushing home. The game was cancelled and band uniforms were ruined. Weeks later, people still talked about that downpour, but I never confessed.

I don’t wonder why God answered in such a remarkable way. He wants His followers to know He is faithful and loves them. He can be counted on to teach us that if He answers the little prayers, He is able also to answer all prayers – even those which seem impossible.

God is faithful, but sometimes we forget. The concrete evidence of answered prayer reminds us of His work and faithful presence in our lives. Raindrops help me remember.

Lord, thank You for never leaving nor forsaking us. Thank You for Your faithfulness. Amen.

© 2011 Virginia Colclasure

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Thank you for reminding me that God hears all prayers. I saw a sign recently that said, "God answers all knee-mail." Amen to that! Thanks, Virginia. E. Bonnie