Friday, October 21, 2011

A Gentle Whisper


Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper . . . then a voice said . . . “What are you doing here, Elijah?”
(I Kings 19:11-12,13c NIV)

God was not in the destructive power of betrayal that tore apart and shattered my marriage. God was not in the earthquake of the divorce that split open a 34-year covenant. And He was not in the fire that burned away my identity as a wife. In the aftermath of the wind, earthquake and fire that changed my life forever, I cried out to God.

In the cacophony of my endless weeping and self-pity, I was unable to hear God’s voice. In the pain of my broken heart, I could not hear God. In the searing sorrow of abandonment, I clung to the past and refused to listen to Him. I was obsessed with a former husband who no longer loved me.

After the noise subsided, I grew quiet before the Lord. He spoke to me in a gentle whisper, “What are you doing here, Diane? You are free now to become the woman I created you to be. Now, go and live your new life.”

Thank you, Father, for waiting patiently for me to listen to your gentle whisper. Please strengthen me to let go of the past and guide me toward to a new future. . In Jesus Name, Amen

© 2011 Diane E. Hussey

No comments: