Friday, August 12, 2011

Think on These Things

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, . . . honest, . . . just, . . . pure, . . . lovely, . . . of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8 (KJV)

How many thoughts run in my mind throughout the day? let me count the ways. Thoughts of finances, work, family, friends sickness, health, the good, the bad and (no, not the ugly) runs rampant each day. These thoughts turns into worries when I find that things are not going according to my plans. My focus is no longer on the things on which God would have me focus.

It is hard to keep a positive outlook on life when everything seems to be falling apart around you, your family and friends. Loss of loved ones, jobs homes and hope rule your thoughts. Philippians 4:6 tells me "be careful for nothing: but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be known unto God." (KJV)

When I take time out of my day to be in the presence of God in prayer, He helps direct my thoughts on things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely and of good report. I can not do it in my own power. It is only through His power that I am strong enough to change my thoughts.

This is a daily struggle for me. Yet, I look forward to God's grace in dealing with the many trials I face. I want Him to be the author of my thoughts.

Thank you God that You are the author of my thoughts and the answer to my prayers. Help me to keep focus on You each day.

(c) Dawn M Sexton

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Dawn, you are a beacon of light to those who know you. My thoughts also wander throughout the day and I have to pull them together with prayer many times. Thank God, He is just a prayer or a thought away. E. Bonnie