Friday, June 3, 2011

Staying Stuck

I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus . . . one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12b,13b,14 (NASB)

It is easy to focus so much on situations and relationships from the past that it is difficult to get on with life. The death of a family member, divorce or the loss of your home to a tornado is devastating. A close friend reminded me recently that I enjoy the sympathy I receive from others when I linger in my self-pity. I stay stuck in my memories of past hurts and continue feeling sorry for myself.

In the book of Philippians, Paul exhorts us to press on toward the life God has for us. We are unable to more forward without putting the past behind us. We may never forget what happened, but we can step out in faith and trust God as we put one tentative foot in front of the other. God is with us and “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds” (Psalm 147:3 NIV).

Note all the action words in this passage: press on, lay hold, forgetting, reaching forward. It is clear that God is urging me not to stay stuck in selfish fretting over my painful past, but to move on toward the future He has for me in Christ.

Dear Father, I put my hope in Your unfailing love and choose to trust You for the future. In Jesus Name, Amen.

© 2011 Diane E. Hussey

No comments: