Friday, June 17, 2011

Father Time

But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.” Luke 18:16 (KJV)

I asked my grandson, “What would make a great father?” His reply was, “ A father who does tickle time.” I thought that was a silly answer, but then realized that it revealed something else. You see my grandson does not get to see his father often.

Our grandson learned about "tickle time" by playing with my husband who also loves the game. It became an all out war of who got tickled the most. Our grandson craved and appreciated the attention and unconditional love he received.

Similarly, we long for relationships with our Father in Heaven. Jesus demonstrated the way to spend time with the Father when He constantly withdrew to pray in synagogues, in towns like Capernaum, or in the wilderness.

Jesus also modeled the unconditional love of fatherhood. He took the time to allow the children to come to him. He would not hinder them and rebuked His disciples when they tried to keep the children away.

Now, I look to Jesus’ example, spend time with my heavenly Father and enjoy learning from Him. Our Heavenly Father is always available and finds joy with anyone who comes to Him.

Thank you Father for the “tickle time” we get to have with You. Thank you for being the kind of Father who loves to spend time with us.
© 2011 Dawn M Sexton

No comments: