Saturday, February 20, 2010

My Forever Home

In my Father’s house are many rooms…I am going there to prepare a place for you…I will come back and take you to be with me that you may be where I am. John 14:2a,2c,3b (NIV)


I moved 23 times in the 34 years of my married life, so the idea of a permanent home is very appealing to me. Imagine, no more moving! I packed and unpacked household and personal belongings for a family of five so many times that some boxes never got unpacked. They remained sealed waiting for the next move. How I longed to settle down in my own home and never move again. As I learned to trust God for the future, I changed from storing up earthly belongings and began storing up treasures for heaven.

Jesus understands people like me who long for a secure, permanent home. He knows what we need. In John 14 He tells us that in His Father’s house there are many rooms. The NIV note refers to them as “dwelling places,” which hints at a permanent home. Jesus says that He will go to this house and prepare a place for us. Then, He promises to come back and take us to be with Him. He is preparing a special place just for us, and He will return to take us back with Him. Imagine being home in Jesus’ presence! Not only are we with our Lord and Savior, but also we have a forever home. I will be home at last.

Dear Father: Thank You for sending Jesus to be our Savior. I thank You for the promise of a special dwelling place with You forever. In Jesus Name, Amen.

© 2010 Diane E. Hussey

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Dianne, isn't it wonderful to know that we have a home just waiting to be occupied by US? It is really humbling knowing that we, ourselves are not worthy of such a place, but that we are not getting there on our own merits. It is only by the blood of Jesus, His supreme sacrifice, that we can expect to have our own place in heaven some day. How joyful a humble heart must feel to know that Jesus is waiting for us. Don't we have a GREAT GOD? Bonnie