Friday, November 13, 2009

Mary or Martha?

"Martha, Martha, thou are careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41, 42 (KJV)

For two days I helped my husband mow and trim the grass in preparation for a cookout on Sunday. That morning I purchased what we needed for the cookout. Now I stood at the kitchen sink washing vegetables. Busy? Yes. I knew I would not get a chance to rest until long after our normal bedtime.

Often when I am very busy, I think of Bible stories, reflecting on them. I thought about what Jesus said when Martha complained of having to do all the work while Mary sat at Jesus' feet listening to spiritual things.

It suddenly occurred to me that I was being a "Martha." I was working so hard to present a nice house and plentiful food on the Lords' day instead of Saturday. My conscience smarted when I realized that I was constantly busy at something and hadn't attended Sunday services for months. Yet I found time to attend my specialty group on Sunday afternoons after all the worship services were over. My conscience stung me again when I remembered what my mother said. "You should never get too busy to worship Jesus." I think I'll begin going to services again.

Heavenly Father, may I never be too busy to worship You. Keep pricking my conscience when I let worldy things blind me to my need for You in my life. Amen

(c) 2009
E. Bonnie Ryan

2 comments:

Christy said...

Nice job Bonnie. Nice tie in to scripture.

Stephanie said...

I enjoyed this post.