Thursday, November 5, 2009

Loneliness

God sets the lonely in families. Psalm 68:6a (NIV)

As a result of the death of a spouse or of divorce, some of us find ourselves alone in the world. We did not expect to be in this situation at this time in our lives, but we are. Sometimes we feel very lonely without the companionship of our life partner.

Psalm 68:6a (NASB) reads, “God makes a home for the lonely.” He cares about our feelings of loneliness and loss no matter what has happened in our lives. He finds unique ways of placing us in “families.” Sometimes, He brings us closer to parents or siblings, or heals our relationships with our children. He may also open up fresh, new relationships with friends, who become like family to us.

This summer I joined some friends for a week-long vacation. We took time away from our regular routines and enjoyed laughing and talking together. We went to places that were new to most of us and did things we had never done before. Our shared activities drew us together, very much like a family on vacation.

Dear Father: Thank You for loving us so much that you make a home for us when we are lonely. Please be with all those who are lonely and sad today.
In Jesus name, Amen.

© 2009 Diane E. Hussey

4 comments:

Virginia said...

I am reading this right after the tragedy at Ft. Hood (12 killed and 31 wounded) and after the deaths of 3 students in Dickinson North Dakota. God binds up the wounds of the stricken and lonely. He is our ever present help in time of need. I thank him for his promises.

Dawn said...

With the many times that I had to move in my life. My new friends have become my family. God always bring people into my life who keeps me grounded. Like the writer's group.

evelyn said...

As we have all felt the pain of loneliness on this journey, even inside of a marriage or relationship,your piece is a pleasant reminder,all is never lost. God always has a plan for our greater good.

I appreciated the way you handled this sensitive subject, nice job Diane.

Stephanie said...

I can definately relate to this.