Friday, September 11, 2009

This is my body

And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; this is my body." Matt 26:26 (KJV)

I ate a healthy dinner yet within an hour I was craving something more. A little voice inside my head said, "Ice cream is satisfying."

A million greedy fat cells screamed, "Ice cream, ice cream!" I caved in, once again the loser in a tug-of-war with the annoying little voice and it's millions of screaming fats.

According to the doctor's chart, I'm obese. Obese: that's a hard word to swallow. Realizing I could not fight the battle of obesity alone, I began searching the Bible for God's Word on food and eating. Jesus said, "Take, eat; this is my body."

How, Lord? I wondered each day as I read the Bible. I found the answer in Mathew 4:4, But he answered and said, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God'"(KJV). I knew I must read the Word each day, chew on it, digest it, incorporate into my body, let the Spirit fill me and let it reign in my unruly flesh.

Why had I not realized this sooner? Had the enemy's voice been conducting a full-out operation to distract, deceive and destroy? Now, I hunger after spiritual food and I am filled. I have lost forty pounds, and although I have more to lose, I now know the way.

Heavenly Father, do not let us hunger after the false comfort provided by unnecessary food. Bless the food on our table to our use and us to your service. In Christ's name, we pray. Amen.

© 2009 Stephanie L. Snead

1 comment:

Christy said...

As someone who loves ice cram and God, this speaks to me.