Friday, July 3, 2009

I LIft My Eyes

I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm121:1-2 (NIV)

This weekend the United States is celebrating the day we declared our independence from England. As I lift my eyes towards heaven to watch the fireworks, I need to remember why I have the freedom to worship God. The Bible is the basis of the United States government and laws, “One nation under God”. Yet I find that Americans have lost their way, in part because they do not know our Christian heritage. It seems that some of the freedoms we celebrate are slowly being taken away. But I do know from where my, and our, help comes.

In all of his troubles, King David knew to turn to God. His hope was not in his nation but in the One who created the nations. Whether he was on the throne or a fugitive on the run, he turned to the One who could and did deliver him from all his afflictions. His freedom was his dependence on God. So is ours.

As we spend time with family and friends, we need to spend time thanking God for freedom. And, like David we need to pray for our nation's leaders, and those close to us.

This weekend, when all the activities end and we reflect on our lives, I hope we have a better appreciation of what God sacrificed for us. Like David, may we always have our eyes looking toward the Author of Liberty.

Prayer: Thank you God for keeping us free to worship you. May we always remember that through you we can take comfort in the knowledge that help comes from you.

© 2009 Dawn Sexton

1 comment:

Christy said...

Good reminder to pray for our leaders. That is something I unfortuantely often forget to do.