Friday, July 10, 2009

How Far Can You Go on Twenty Five Cents Worth of Gasoline?

I was young and now I’m old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. (Psalm 37:25 NIV)

In the mid 50’s my sixteen year old cousin David, worked on a farm all summer so that he could buy an old car. I was thirteen, and thrilled when David asked me to go on an adventure with him. What he had in mind was more of an experiment than an adventure. He wanted to see how far we could go in his new/old car on just 25 cents worth of gas.

Surprisingly, we traveled the four mile perimeter around the little town of Worthington, Indiana, for more than an hour before we drifted to a stop.

I think of David and that “adventure” when I pump gas into my tank at $2, $3, and $4 a gallon. Before I work myself into a funk, I remind myself that back in those days David only made a few dollars an hour working on the farm.

More importantly, I remember that although times change, God never changes and always provides for his children.

My heavenly father laid the foundations of the earth. He gives orders to the morning and gives the dawn its place. He will never leave me nor forsake me. All that I’ve needed His hand has provided.

How silly it is for me to let the price of gas rattle me.

Prayer: Dear Lord, I thank you that you are Jehovah Jireh, my provider. Help me to remember that I need not be afraid of economic turmoil. You have promised to supply all of my needs according to Your riches in glory.

© Christy Struben 2009

No comments: