Friday, February 27, 2009

Don't Trip Over Something Behind You

“But Jesus said to him, ‘No one, after putting his head to
The plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”
Luke 9:62 NAS


I nursed, rehearsed and cursed the events leading up to the bitter divorce after 35 years of marriage. The pain of the betrayal ate at my soul. I would wake at night wondering what I could have done differently. I kept tripping over something behind me.

After the trial, I moved to a new town and into a cozy, little townhouse near my daughter. One day at a time, I joined a new Church and built new relationships with new people. I gave my past and my new life to Jesus, and I prayed for guidance each blessed day.

I baby sat, took watercolor classes, and joined a Writers' Group. My life is pretty nice. I don’t look back anymore. In time, I moved to help my daughter and her husband with their second child. I helped her when children were sick, when she needed rest from an all night vigils, and when ear infections ravaged the children.

Then, a person from the past visited making sure to report about my ex’s new car, new furniture, and new girl friend. Grief enveloped my spirit, and I almost tripped over that pot hole, but that arrow bounced off the armor of God. I counted my blessings over and over. I thanked God for my new blessed life, and I resumed my steady walk forward.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for the blessings of your armor that keeps me looking forward, not backward. Amen.

© 2009 Lois Gosley

1 comment:

Dawn said...

You have come a long way. I look forwarded to seeing what God has planned for you. Dawn