Friday, February 13, 2009

Molasses

How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? Rom 10:14 (NIV)

As a child my son was lackadaisical about everything. He ate slowly, he put on his clothes slowly; even his answers were too slow for my satisfaction. I found myself always after him to pick up the pace. Exasperated by his unresponsiveness, I'd constantly say to him, “Son, you’re as slow as molasses.” I said it so often that finally, in his seven-year old frustration, he asked, “Who is Molasses?” After I straightened up and stopped laughing, I realized I had made the assumption that my young son knew molasses is a thick, sweet substance, good for baking, and not a person with an unusual name. I expected him to know something he’d never learned.

There are those who assume that everyone should know who Jesus is, yet millions of people in the world are still asking, "Who is Jesus?" They don't know who He is because they've never been told. They’ve never heard that Jesus is the truth, the life and the only way to salvation. (John 14:6) They will only know if someone lovingly sits down beside them and tells them, just like I did with my son. What an awesome blessing to be the one who does.

Dear Lord, help me to remember to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth when I bring someone to Christ. Let them walk away knowing, and being completely clear about, what they must do to be saved.

© Copyright 2009 G. Francis Johnson

2 comments:

Marcella said...

This is good. We should never assume anything.

Dawn said...

A good lesson to learn. We can't assume that everyone know who Jesus is. Nicely written. Dawn