Friday, January 16, 2009

NEW BEGINNINGS

“Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead.”
Phil.3:13 NASB


The beginning of a new year is a time to let go of last year’s hurts, bad memories and failures. The Bible tells me that God forgives me when I confess my sins, so it is time for me to move in the direction of accepting and living in the light of His perfect forgiveness. I need a reminder of how God sees me, regardless of how I have allowed other people to define me. I need to take a fresh, new look at who I am as God’s child with the unique gifts and talents He gives me, and remember that He has a special purpose for my life. I choose to thank God for all that He brings into my life. This includes the positive as well as the negative circumstances and events that He will use to shape me into the woman He intends for me to become.

The story of Jesus’ meeting with Nicodemus in John 3 reminds us that new life in Christ gives us an opportunity to look forward to a new future. The young believer who accepts God’s gift of new life is making a decision to put the old life behind him and reach forward toward new hopes and dreams. Only God knows what this New Year holds, so let us live life to its fullest.

Dear Father: I pray for discernment to see the new opportunities You have for me this year. Grant me the courage to put the past behind me and the strength to step out boldly and embrace life. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

© 2009 Diane E. Hussey

1 comment:

Dawn said...

How good it is to know that life happenings makes us the person that Jesus wants us to be. It hurts sometime, but with the help of God we press on.