Thursday, January 22, 2009

Available to God

“Aaron and Hur held up his (Moses’) hands one on one side, and
the other on the other side; so his hands were steady until the going
down of the sun.” Exodus 17:12 (RSV
)

While deeply saddened over the death of my mother and my husband’s betrayal, I imagined everything was whispering invitations to die. My friend, Bonnie visited and brought a coffee cake. As we had coffee and cake, she read her favorite scripture verses on hope and God’s love.

A few days later, she asked me to go shopping. I really wanted to stay in and feel sorry for myself. Again she encouraged me to read my Bible. We prayed and did scripture searches. Through her prayers and guidance, I started reading my Bible regularly. Slowly my outlook turned from inward to upward. I learned to turn to the Word of God for help, strength and hope. I read about the struggles and victories of the Bible folks and, each time, a little slice of hope gave way to a new vision of hope for the future.

The story about Aaron and Hur holding up Moses’ hand to keep the enemy from prevailing impressed me. I thought about my friend and how she had lifted me with God’s Word. I had prevailed. I thanked God for her and prayed to be available for Him.

PRAYER: Our Father, thank you for your servants and thank you that the only ability we need is availability. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen

© 2009 L. Gosley

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I love how you bring your life into you writing. We all need a friend who is there in the hard times. It is nice to know that Jesus is always there if we just look.