Friday, November 21, 2008

Pray for My Plastic Animals

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV)

On Wednesday nights, Pastor Bruce ends the service by asking the congregation for prayer requests and praise reports. Sitting near the front of the church with his mother, the pastor’s three-year-old son, Zachariah, raised his hand.

“Yes Zac,” the pastor said pointing to him.

“Please pray for my little animals,” the child said. “I’m worried about my lions, tigers, bears, and dinosaurs.”

Pastor Bruce nodded. In the closing prayer, he included a request asking God to ease Zac’s worries over his animals.

One week later Pastor Bruce found Zachariah’s miniature plastic animals. They were crowded into a large jar of petroleum jelly. Approaching his son, he asked, “When you asked us to pray for your animals, why were you worried about them?”

“I was afraid they couldn’t breathe in there,” he answered.

Dear Lord, I know that my problems are sometimes of my own making. Yet, you always listen. Help me to remember that I can talk to you about anything in my life. Thank you for consistently being available to grant me your peace.

© copyright 2008 Christy Struben

1 comment:

Marcella said...

Very nice. Shows God hears all prayers.