Thursday, October 17, 2019

GOD'S PEOPLE


This mystery is that through the Gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus. Ephesians 3:6 (NIV)

This world has always persecuted Jews. The holocaust of World War II was extreme, but persecution also persists today in cultural and political ways.

Yet the Scriptures make clear that God created Israel, the nation of Jews, to be uniquely His people. The patriarch Abraham believed God. As a result, God promised that all nations would be blessed through him. Thus, through this promise, Jews have an inherent relationship with God from birth.

I am not Jewish, and non-Jews are outside that initial promise. When I read the Old Testament stories of how other peoples outside the promise, such as the Philistines, were as nothing before the Lord, I am horrified! Add to that an awareness of my sins which threaten to block any relationship with God, and I am desperate for hope. What can I do?

This verse from Ephesians 3 is God’s answer to my desperation. As a Gentile, I am so relieved and delighted that God has invited me into the family of His people. He sent his Son Jesus to open a new way. Although I am not a Jew, through the Gospel of Jesus Christ I am brought near, grafted in, and my sins are forgiven. That indeed is the ultimate “good news.” And it starts as soon as I accept Jesus’ invitation to come to Him.

Lord Jesus, You are indeed the Son of God and the One who can bring me into the company of God’s people.  I accept your invitation, and I look forward to a life eternally with You. Amen.

© 2019 Parker Wayland

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Parker, I was not born a Jew but I have accepted God's invitation to join His Jewish Family and I have become a "spiritual" Jewish daughter to God and I am thrilled to sit by His side with our Savior Jesus and all the rest of His adopted spiritual Jewish children. I feel very blessed and hope that you do too. As spiritual and loving as you are, I cannot imagine a blessed and holy heaven without you there singing praises to God, standing close to me. If you and Betty get there ahead of me, please look for me. I will be looking for you and all my friends and family, especially since I have been in the Writers Group. I have beat death and Satan's pranks a few more times this year and I thank God and my Savior Jesus for the privilege. I hope to live to be 100 years and see my children and husband all saved and ready to meet Christ as their Savior too. I may see you and the rest of our "Group" soon,.\ Love in Christ Jesus. Evelyn