Friday, July 12, 2019

NEGATIVE INVENTORY

Who comforted us in our tribulation that we may be able to comfort them which are in trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. II Corinthians 1:4 (KJV)

Sharing with my friend, Helen, about a very enlightening meeting I had attended the previous evening, I told her about being locked into negative inventories.  We live with challenging people and spend too much time listing all their negative attributes. I continued with “I tried to list all of Harry’s good qualities, but couldn’t come up with one!" The more I talked, the more depressed I felt. 

I had prayed for him to change, but when you pray for people to change, who does God change? Whose attention does He have? Harry wasn’t praying to change. So, feeling hopeless, I withdrew.

Helen looked at me like I was from another planet. Feeling I'd talked too much, I ceased my negative inventory, and became quiet.

The next day, Helen approached me, “You really helped me yesterday with your negative inventory information. I had been ‘locked in’ to making negative inventories of Glenn over dumb things, like he didn’t know how to set the table. He retired and was home all the time. He should have noticed how I set the table all these years. Mealtime as now a challenge! I had married him for life, but not for lunch. Recalling what you said about inventory, I changed my negative to positive inventory and I came up with a list of good qualities, and realized what a good man he is. I happily taught him how to set the table. Thank you for sharing with me your most personal information. 

Thank you Lord, that no matter what happens to us, nothing goes to waste.


(C)  2019 Lois Gosley 

2 comments:

Christy said...

Nicely written and a good lesson to swallow!

Bonnie Mae Evans said...

Good reminder. Thank you, Lois.