Friday, February 1, 2019

GOD CAN STILL DO IT


Then God remembered Rachel; He listened to her and enabled her to conceive. Genesis 30:22 (NIV)

At the beginning of 2019, I decided I would journey through the Bible in its entirety this calendar year. I made a commitment to read God’s word more deliberately so my mind and my way of thinking may be renewed and transformed. To my surprise, it seems my eyes have encountered the Bible in a new and refreshing way.

While reading through Genesis, I was reminded of the repeated tension between God’s promise and the defeated mindset of God’s people. I was particularly captivated by the narrative of Rachel, Leah, and Jacob. The pain and suffering Rachel felt while watching Leah give birth to child after child reminded me of my own disappointments.

I recently celebrated my birthday and again faced my reality of being unmarried and childless. This truth used to cause me a great deal of pain and left me feeling like Rachel. I didn’t cry out to a person, rather I cried out directly to God, “Why do You refuse to give me the desires of my heart? Why is everyone around me getting married and having children? They aren’t as faithful to You as I am. Why, God, are you failing me?”

Then while reading Genesis 30, one verse caught my eye, “. . . God remembered Rachel; He listened to her and enabled her to conceive.” This verse reminded me of God’s ability to deliver on His promises for our lives. The promises may not unfold according to our timelines, but as God did with Rachel, God can remember us too. Despite how things may look, God can still do it.

God, help us remain patient until You deliver on Your promises for our lives. Amen.

© 2019 Dawn M. Wayman

No comments: