Friday, August 3, 2018

BELIEVE

"You believe in God, believe also in me." John 14b (KJV)

Three Christmases ago, Charles and I spent the holiday with my niece and her family. She and her husband have two young children. My older sister, Gene, was the children's grandmother. She lived with them and babysat them when school was closed for the summer and on holidays.

We gathered in the living room to exchange gifts. The children were overjoyed as they opened one gift after another. The happy smiles on their faces lit up the room.

Gene handed me a gift. "Open it," she said. "I hope you like it."

I looked at her radiant face. She was so beautiful. I opened the gift and held the word "Believe" in my hands. It was simple and yet a meaningful gift. I could feel the love of Gene and God tingle clear down to my toes.

During the visit, I spent extra time with Gene. I loved and missed her. I knew Gene wasn't well and that it would be a long time before I'd see her again.

At home, I placed the Believe word on the television stand. A few days later, Gene called to say, "Evelyn, the doctor said my heart is failing. I'm so afraid to die in pain."

"Gene, do you believe in the power of prayer?"

"Yes, I do," she answered.

"If you truly believe in God's mercy, then pray that our Lord will hold you in His arms and give you peace."

I will always remember our conversation because on May 27th, 2016, Gene passed away peacefully while watching television with her granddaughter. Gene believed and God was merciful.

Father, thank You for answering Gene's prayers. You are so good to us. Just "Believe" and He will answer your prayers too.

© 2018 Evelyn B. Ryan

No comments: