Friday, August 17, 2018

ARE YOUR EYES FIXED ON JESUS?


“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5 (NIV)
 
After listening to the reading from John 21 this morning, I became rather excited, anticipating the pastoral message. Surely his message would cover the three times Jesus asked Peter if he loved Him, and I’d be able to finish writing one of my devotions. Imagine my surprise as the pastor began to share his thoughts on another section of the passage, where Peter takes his eyes off Jesus and looks at John.

Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, “Lord, who is going to betray you?”) When Peter saw him, he asked, “Lord, what about him?” Jesus answered, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me” (John 21:20-22).

Follow Jesus.

It sounds simple enough, but sometimes feelings of inadequacy and uncertainty slither uninvited into my mind, overwhelming and distracting me. And instead of looking to the One who laid the earth’s foundation, I begin to look around me. Why does this cycle seem to repeat itself so easily?

Today I was reminded that our ability to do what God has called us to do is not dependent on us, our strengths or weaknesses, but is dependent on His strength and our willingness to take up our cross daily and follow Him.

Precious Lord, As we press on toward the goal You have planted within our hearts, grant us the courage and confidence to keep our eyes fixed on You.
 
© 2018 Amy A. Verzi

 

No comments: