Friday, May 8, 2009

A Lap for Mom

“Behold my mother…” Matthew 12:49 (KJV)

There are many ways to pay homage to our departed loved ones. This fall I honored my mother by doing a lap around the lake near my parents’ home. Mom used to exercise by walking around the lake several times, about a ¼ mile per lap. I remember standing on the sidelines watching her quick, determined steps. Mom moved like someone with a definite destination in mind, even though she was only going in circles. I admired how quickly she sped around the lake. She was in much better shape than I despite being twice my age. I often wondered if Mom noticed the crystal beauty of the lake or the lush greenness of the surrounding trees when she moved so fast. I’m sure she did in her own way.

It was a perfect day to visit the park. The air was brisk, but the warmth of the sun made it comfortable enough to sit and watch the swans, geese and ducks dip in and out of the water. Fishermen sat around the perimeter, children played on nearby swings and some people did laps, like me.

It has been said that every day is Mother’s Day. Even so, it is wonderful that there is a day when people everywhere can celebrate their moms, those who are here and those who have gone before.

Mom, here’s a lap for you. I look forward to seeing you again in heaven.

Dear Lord, thank you that we have a special day dedicated to our mothers. Help us to relish those who are here now, even as we remember and cherish the lives of those who have passed on.

© 2009 G. Francis Johnson

2 comments:

Marcella said...

Excellent!

Christy said...

Oh Gail, what a sweet way to remmeber your Mom. I love it.