Friday, September 20, 2019

LOGAN MEETS LOIS FROM LOIS LANE


You have helped me, and I sing happy songs in the shadow of your wings. Psalm 63:7 (CEV)

“If he can do it, you can do it,” I said to encourage the kindly older lady in the wheelchair.

She smiled in agreement and said “I lost the leg a couple of months ago.” When my wife, my dog Logan and I first met her, I had not noticed. Privately, the executive director told us the lady’s left leg had been amputated, and she was awaiting a prosthesis.   

This was Logan’s first time as a “Paws for Comfort” volunteer. The seniors of the Retirement Village started gravitating to my 13-year old yellow Labrador, another senior. “Would you like to say hello?” I said.  The compliments flowed.  “What a nice dog.”  “He’s beautiful.”  “She’s so well behaved,” said a certain woman insisting that Logan was a she.  I repeated “he” several times, but finally got a look from my wife to let it go.

There was also “what happened to his leg?”  My refrain was: “Oh, he had a tumor on his leg three years ago and he lost his paw.  He wears a brace outside, but in the house does not need it.”

Finally, we met Lois, a happy dog lover, who once lived on a private drive named Lois Lane. Logan let her love on him with back rubs and head pats. He brought a happy song to the hearts of the residents.

Dear Lord, help us share our gifts whatever they may be; our time, our beloved pets, or a warm-hearted smile so we may bless others by spreading joy.

© 2019 Aubrey Evelyn

2 comments:

Christy said...

Super good job!! Christy

Evelyn R. said...

i LOVE THIS STORY! It is well-rounded and makes me want to hug the dogs neck.
Evelyn Ryan