Friday, January 11, 2019

JOY FRUIT

The joy of the Lord is your strength. Nehemiah 8:10 (NAS)

In this New Year I am encouraged to choose “One Word.” One word to ask the Lord to develop in me and draw me closer to Him. One word to focus on throughout the entire year.
After much thought, I chose a word that I often find challenging—Joy.

I don’t know about you, but there are times when life gets me down, and I feel lower than a snake’s belly, as my grandfather used to say. Now I know as an heir to the kingdom of God, I am no longer under the oppression of the enemy. I am free to enjoy the fruit of the Spirit called joy. For a believer, a bite of that fruit is the antidote for the bite of the sin-fruit eaten and shared by Eve.
In Philippians we are told: “Rejoice always.” This sounds doable until some unexpected illness, tragedy, or any multitude of negative situations come knocking on our door.

By our own strength and determination it is futile to be joyful in everything life can cast our way. However, in the Spirit given us when we accepted Christ as Savior, we are not only able to find joy, but live it out even in the midst of painful and difficult circumstances.

To possess the joy of God is to hold deep within our hearts the peace of Heaven while still present here on earth. It affords us the ability to press on in the assurance the outcome is in God’s loving hands, and knowing He is working everything out for our good.
What about you, my friend? Could you use a little more joy?

Lord, fill our hearts to overflowing with Your unquenchable joy! Amen.
© 2019 Bonnie Mae Evans

No comments: