Friday, November 2, 2018

A PIERCED HEART

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double–edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow, it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 (NIV)
As a newly baptized Christian, during a Sunday worship service, I would often be sobbing as if my heart had been pierced.  It was as if God was speaking directly to me. As I look back, I know the Holy Spirit was using God’s Word to convict me in areas of my life I was holding onto. It was a battle of the wills, the flesh and the Spirit. Over much time the Holy Spirit would win each battle.
Our sinful nature can be compared to an onion which has many layers. As the Holy Spirit exposes our layers, we must surrender and allow Him to peel back each layer we hide behind, sometimes bringing tears. This provides room for God’s Holy Spirit to fill us and transform our lives. Only then can we be used in His Kingdom work.
I am humbled how God works in our lives, accepting us in our brokenness, but not willing to leave us there. I am thankful to be in a church where I hear God’s Word preached every Sunday. Even as a more mature Christian, I continue to feel the Holy Spirit prompting me through God’s Word to examine my heart.
Although we may have a close walk with Christ, we still have that sinful nature.  Daily, we must be in God’s Word and ask the Holy Spirit to examine our hearts and remove everything impure. Only then will God work through our hearts, reaching others far from Him.    
Father, I am thankful Your Word pierces my heart. Amen
© 2018 Marianne Lucot

1 comment:

Christy said...

True and well said!!! Christy