Friday, May 25, 2018

THE WALL

Many songs are sung about it,
many poems tearfully read,
about the devastation and
the soldiers who are dead.

So many names inscribed there,
brings a sadness to my heart,
for all the waiting families
that death had torn apart.

I read each name with heartache.
Unchecked tears stream down my face.
There beside my company buddies,
I should have had a space.

Why was I spared? I have wondered,
when so many had to die.
I guess I'll always wonder
and ponder the reason "why?"


I trace the names with my finger
while a flood of tears stream down.
I wonder who would mourn for me
if the names were turned around?

So much heartache, so much sorrow
linked with each chiseled name.
If we had won the conflict
would THE WALL be the same?

The cold marble tells the story.
One can see it at a glance.
My buddies shouldn't be here but
in reality, they had no chance.

They fought with courage and true bravery
and every one gave his all.
They are gone but not forgotten.
Their names are chiseled on THE WALL.

© Evelyn B. Ryan

GOD BLESS AMERICA

2 comments:

Christy said...

Powerful!!!!!

Christy

Evelyn R. said...

Thank you, Christy. I tried.God bless you and your husband.
Evelyn