Friday, March 9, 2018

YOU'RE HIRED


Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV)

The eighth grade graduation ceremony was held on a May morning in 1951. Afterward, I went home with certificate in hand. At lunch, my father smiled across the table. “Congratulations, son”, he said.  “Thanks, Dad.” Then the conversation continued:

“Did you ever think about going to work?”

“No, I hadn’t really thought about it.”

“I could use some help in the parts department.” [He was our local Ford dealer.]

“Well, I guess I could do that. When would I start?”

“How about this afternoon?”

Just that quickly, I was hired! I started that afternoon and worked there in my available time until college graduation. The job was interesting, taught me how to interact with people and allowed me to save for the future. Working for my father was a rewarding experience.

Working for our heavenly Father gives much greater rewarding experiences. We work not with parts of cars but with whole people, many of whom need serious repair by the Master Mechanic. Our job is rather like that of a clerkto introduce people to the Master. We are not responsible to do the repairs, but simply to introduce. And we are not alone! The Spirit of Jesus is always right there to provide the words to say and whatever else is needed for a winsome witness.

Prayer: Lord, I receive and embrace the job you have prepared for me. Go with me in your peace and your power so my service will contribute to Your kingdom.

© 2018 Parker Wayland

No comments: