Saturday, March 3, 2018

BEATRICE AND THE LORD

                  
…Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Mark 16:15  (NIV)

Early in my teaching career an experienced educator named Beatrice “took me under her wing.” She 
spent time helping me enter into a life of bringing learning to others. Beatrice also shared her deep 
belief in Jesus as her savior. When she invited my son and me to attend church with her one Sunday 
we gladly obliged.

I was intrigued with the sermon and my teenage son, Bruce, was excited about the youth group. From that day forward we regularly attended church. Beatrice was always available to instruct and encourage us as we soaked up the Son.

We became so hungry for more of Jesus that we went to church somewhere every week night as well 
as Sunday. We would pray, sing hymns and play a tambourine on the way. Beatrice was always available to teach, listen, share, and encourage us in our exciting adventures. I began to call her “My Spiritual Mother.”

One day years later, Beatrice’s daughter called and told us Beatrice had passed away.
Although we mourned the loss of her presence, we would always remember her as an important 
stepping stone in our spiritual growth.
 
Recently a young woman, with whom I had an opportunity to discuss our Lord, began calling me “Her Spiritual Mother.”
 
I thought to myself, “what an honor to say that to me!’ Then I remembered, sharing the message of salvation and living it is what every Christian is meant to do here on Earth.          
 
Prayer: Lord, help us to remember to take advantage of every opportunity to draw others to Jesus.  After all, that is our “assignment” on Earth.” Amen

© Christy Struben 2018

1 comment: