Friday, January 12, 2018

LISTEN UP


If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile to me, then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over.
 Leviticus 26:27(NIV)

Wow! This foretells disaster for the person or nation that persists in being hostile toward God!

This morning I awoke to a gentle rain. American life and commerce proceed calmly and efficiently as we enjoy the blessings of freedom established long ago. Yet in many ways I see in the newspapers and public forum a nation divided, many indifferent, if not hostile, to the God of the Bible.

 I wonder.

 God is also extremely loving. He invites us into a relationship of love. God even sent His Son, Jesus, who told us, If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love... I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete (John 15:10-11).

 Leviticus is Old Testament and was proclaimed under the Old Covenant. But God still seeks a loving relationship with us. Those who are “hostile” toward God clearly have no part in the New Covenant in Jesus’ blood. What about indifference? God is the judge of where the line is, but if a nation or person must wonder where they stand, they may be in trouble. It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of an angry God.

Jesus went to the cross to invite us into a loving relationship. For those who will receive it, God’s love is the most real and joyful aspect of our existence.

Lord, I’m listening. Lead me in paths that honor You.

 © 2017 Parker Wayland

No comments: