Saturday, April 29, 2017

BE WILLING TO DO IT AFRAID

Trust in the Lord  with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

One day a video of a motivational speaker, Lisa Nichols, appeared on my Facebook page. She made a statement that captured my attention, "Be willing to do it afraid!" This caused me to think about how  often fear stops me from trusting God enough to pursue the "its" in my life. Despite being a Christian, sometimes it is hard for me to trust God when things do not make sense. It could be something like God's call to get more involved in a ministry or yielding to God's prompting to pray for someone unexpectedly. Equally, it could be something more difficult like obeying God's call to leave a job or move to a new area where there are no family or friends nearby. Regardless of how big or small the challenge God places before me, a paralyzing fear far too often grips my soul in these moments.

How easy it is to become fearful when we feel God's spirit nudging us in a direction that is unknown and a bit scary? How easy it is to stop in our tracks when God's requests feel  overwhelming? It's so easy to allow fear to take over our minds, but God's command for us is to walk by faith and not by sight. When God called Abram to go to a place that He would show him, Abram had to be willing to go with God by faith and faith alone. He wants us to do the same, even when we're afraid.

Lord, when our hearts are overwhelmened by fear, give us courage to take a faith step.

(C)  2017 Dawn M. Wayman

1 comment:

Christy said...

Dawn, What a beautiful devotional!! I'm sure it touches the heart of many.
Christy