Friday, March 24, 2017

STRANDED

Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked. Psalm 82:4 (ESV).

Going to the store in the heavy rain after dark was not a pleasant task for me. Shopping was not my thing. While parking, I saw an elderly woman sitting inside her car in the downpour. I went in the store and made my purchases, hurrying back to my car. That same woman was still there. Something inside urged me to go ask if she needed help.

"Yes," she answered. "My car won't start. Will you take me to the gas station across the street?"

"Of course, get in." The door was unlocked.

"I'll sit in the back so water won't get all over the place," she said thoughtfully.

I drove her to the gas station, wishing her God's blessings. She tried to pay me. I told her a firm "No," and drove the four blocks home. While parking, I turned around to check my position and my heart sank. She had left her keys on the back seat. It meant another trip to the station to give them back to her.

The woman was looking out the door as I pulled up to the station. She ran to me when she saw me stop. When I handed her the keys, she thanked me profusely and tried to pay me again. "No, it is my pleasure to help you. I would want someone to help my mom if she needed it."

Before she could insist, I waved "goodbye" and drove home again, praying she would be all right.

Father, thank You for the privilege of helping someone in need. One day it might be me asking for help from a stranger. Amen.

© 2017 Evelyn B. Ryan

1 comment:

Christy said...

Hi --

Here is something I know about you, "When God calls, you answer!" Good example of Good Samaritan in action.