Friday, December 2, 2016

SPONSORED BLESSING

I call on You, my God, for You will answer me; turn Your ear to me and hear my prayer. Psalm 17:6 (NIV)

I'm leaving the post office, receipt in hand. It reads, “First Class International Kenya.” I’ve just mailed a birthday card and small gifts to my sponsored son.

He was young when our family began sponsoring him. Without my glasses that day, I couldn’t read his name or see his face as I chose a card. I prayed, “God, You pick the child for us.”

When I found my glasses, saw his sweet face and read his name, I cried joyful tears. God had heard my prayer and indeed, picked this child. His name was Boniface. We shared the first three letters of our names—a little trinity of letters joined us with God.

Holding his picture, I wept again—sad tears, for his little mismatched clothes and serious face. 

I wanted to do so much for him and shower him with gifts, but could only send small, flat things fitting in an envelope. What I could freely give him were my prayers. I decided to make up for spiritually what I couldn't give him materially. I pray fervently for him to grow up to become a great man of God.

Today he is a young man of eighteen, wearing a white shirt and tie, studying hard in school. He writes to me of his faith in God who sustains him. He is praying for my children, "Tell them to focus on God's gospel on a daily basis." Again, I cry tears of joy with praise and thanksgiving to God who faithfully hears every prayer. I am mightily blessed.

Father, thank you for times You show us You have heard our prayers, as well as those times we wait in faith.

©2016 Bonnie Mae Evans

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Hello, Bonnie. Your sponsored son is a true blessing to you and your husband. I am so proud of you because you took the responsibility of sponsoring a poor Kenya boy, helping with his food, clothing and education; in essence, giving him a new start in life and showing him the love of a true Christian parent. I know your "adopted son" loves you and appreciates the help you and your husband have given him over the years. God has a great blessing in store for you.

Love you, dear friend.
Evelyn